Fires are among the most common accidents that can happen in the home. They can be caused by open flames, faulty wiring, and fire hazards carelessly placed everywhere. As a result, many fire-safety equipment are introduced in the market to help curb risks of flames going haywire.
Here are five fire-safety devices you should have in your home to ensure a safe and accident-free space.
Store fire blankets in your kitchen and garage to have them available should a fire start in these places. Since kitchen fires are usually caused by open flames and unattended stoves, having a fire blanket or two will prevent the flames from spreading further. As for your garage, some liquids such as oils and paints are flammable. While it may take a puddle-size of these liquids to burst into flames, having a fire blanket ready will keep the tiny sparks from getting bigger and burning your house.
Dryer Vent Pressure System Sensor
Not all house fires are caused by unattended burners or short circuits. In some houses that don’t have space for hanging laundry, like a few of the Pag-IBIG foreclosed properties in the Philippines, residents might have to use a clothes dryer to dry their clothes.
If you have a clothes dryer at home, chances are the lint from your clothes accumulates in the exhaust vent. This may seem harmless, other than staining your clothes, but the lint clogs the vent, causing pressure in the machine and leading to fires. Cleaning your exhaust vent will help prevent such mishaps. However, placing a pressure system sensor will help detect if your dryer vent is already clogged. Not only will you have clean clothes, but you will also have a fireproof home.
Carbon Monoxide Alarms
In some developments, smoke detectors are part of the building protocol. With fire alarms and smoke detectors in your home, you can be sure that your home is safe from fire incidents. As mentioned, most house fires are caused by open flames in the kitchen. But there might be times when the fires started because of carbon monoxide build-up.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas. Placing carbon monoxide alarms in your home detects high levels of gas. The alarms let you know when you need to turn off the burners, oven, and grills, as well as open the windows to let the gas out of your home.
Smart Stovetop Sensors
To keep your kitchen from catching fire, install smart stovetop sensors that automatically turn off your burners after a few seconds when they detect you aren’t in the kitchen. Having these sensor systems prevents your cooking from becoming a burnt mess and any flammable material from touching the stove. Turning the stove back on will automatically reset the sensors’ timer.
Smart Plugs or Outlets
Smart outlets are great for those who tend to forget to unplug their chargers or coffee pot. Parents with little kids will also thank these hi-tech inventions for saving their kids from inserting their fingers in the outlets.
From an application on your phone, you can turn your electronic devices on and off. When these devices aren’t in use for a long time, the outlets automatically turn them off. Imagine all of the fire hazards you’ll avoid by having smart plugs in your home!
Overall, fire safety starts with eliminating fire hazards in your home, and having an escape plan should your house catch flames. Additionally, having these fire-safety equipment lets you run a smart and fireproof home this Fire Prevention Month, and beyond.